Re: Re: multiple hot standby streaming replication scenario with "rotating" the primary server

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Gerhard Hintermayer" <gerhard(dot)hintermayer(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: multiple hot standby streaming replication scenario with "rotating" the primary server
Date: 2011-04-11 19:06:40
Lists: pgsql-admin

Gerhard Hintermayer <gerhard(dot)hintermayer(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Just checked my indices, looks like the only table in all my 5
> DB's that has a hash index is the one I ran tests on.

Well, actually that's pretty lucky. If you'd tested with other
indexes, you might have gone live with the broken index. I would
seriously consider converting the index to btree at this point, to
simplify life, unless you can show a significant performance benefit
with the hash index running your actual application mix.

> But the other thing is the huge amount of transfer volume when
> rsyncing the data dir from the new primary to set up the new
> replication slaves. But this should go away when I stop using
> REINDEX DATABASE, right ?

That should make a big difference, yeah.

-Kevin