Re: Applying GSoc prosgres and do contribution

From: Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail(at)wars-nicht(dot)de>
To: pgsql-students(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Applying GSoc prosgres and do contribution
Date: 2011-04-06 15:24:50
Lists: pgsql-students
Hi,

Am 05.04.2011 17:13, schrieb HuangQi:

> And I'm interested in the Improve the auto-configuration script (Python
> or Perl). But I don't know much about Python or Perl yet. How could I
> get the further idea of what this auto-configuration script is about?

Well, the idea behind this script is to auto-tune some of the
postgresql.conf settings based on the actual hardware and of course
based on the expected workload.

There are two different jobs to do:

- Determine the current hardware confiuguration (number and speed of
cpu's, ram size, i/o, number of disks, network, ...)
- Ask the user - or even better, trace the database - about the expected
workload (reads, writes, mixed workload, oltp, data warehouse, number of
concurrent connections and queries, used ram for queries and cache, and
so on)

I think, Perl or Python is a choice of the author, whatever he knows
best. Of course, it would be helpful, if such a script (or collection of
scripts) would use the same scripting language than all the current
scripts in the PostgreSQL source.

Hope, this helps

--
				Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum