Re: [HACKERS] Uppercase SGML entity declarations

From: Susanne Ebrecht <susanne(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)it>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Uppercase SGML entity declarations
Date: 2011-04-04 17:26:45
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-hackers
On 04.04.2011 18:37, Tom Lane wrote:
> AFAIK, the main stumbling block for that is that XML doesn't allow
> abbreviated close tags (ie,<foo>whatever</>).  Which is something that
> we are not likely to give up.  So I'm not sure of the point of changing
> something as trivial as entity declaration casing.  You're going to end
> up having to fork the documentation anyway, or at least feed it through
> an SGML to XML converter.  So why not fix the entity casing then?

Tom,

Honestly, for German I don't mind yet if it is XML or SGML. XML might
be better in future for maintenance tools.

Anyway, I figured out there is another argument for XML:

My information is that DocBook 5.0 won't support SGML anymore.

Which means - sooner or later a reaction is needed.

Susanne
P.S.:
Btw. I change <foo>whatever</> into <foo>whatever</foo> when it
is in the parts which I am translating because my emacs indent don't
like </>.

--
Susanne Ebrecht - 2ndQuadrant
www.2ndQuadrant.com