Re: Major features for 9.1

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Major features for 9.1
Date: 2011-04-02 22:32:03
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
> Perhaps we can outline Major Features and Innovations separately. This
> release is notable for the number of genuinely new ideas implemented,
> so that's worth making something of even if the advanced features
> themselves need a little more explanation. Or Perhaps have
> "Innovations" as a major feature and then a comma list of the names of
> them.

Yeah, that sounds like the way to go.

So for Innovations, we'd have SSI, SE/Postgres, KNN-GiST, and wCTE, no?
 Or does someone else have wCTEs?  I vaguely remember something about
SQL Server ...

There's also another obvious grouping: Extensibility.  This would
include both Extensions and SQL/MED.

So we could have:

Features
	Sync Rep
	Per-col collation
	Unlogged tables

Innovations
	SSI
	KNN-GiST
	SE/Postgres
	wCTE

Extensibility
	Extensions
	SQL/MED

I like that, it means we can list everything but without having a long
laundry list which nobody will read.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.