Re: refer to books in footnote

From: Susanne Ebrecht <susanne(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: refer to books in footnote
Date: 2011-04-02 07:56:39
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 31.03.2011 18:11, Robert Haas wrote:
> I actually find both phrasings a bit
> ... What we're really trying to do here is provide the
> links, but that is sometimes better done in a footnote or bibliography
> than in the middle of a body of text.

Honestly, I like the idea for the future.
I think the effort doing it in existing docs is too high - but for future
docs it is great.

I have another argument for it:

During translating the tutorial I found another sentence - referring books
for SQL beginners.

After very long thinking and after chatting about it with Peter - I
skipped the
sentence German translation.

I translate the documentation into German mostly for ppl who are not able
to speak English. It is not a good style to tell people here that when
they want
to learn SQL they should read English books - besides
there is a translated version of the books - which wasn't the case.

I would not have such a big problem here with translation when links to
books
would be just in a footnote - it don't look such painful to refer to
English books in
footnotes, when the books aren't available in German.

Just my 2Cent,

Susanne

--
Susanne Ebrecht - 2ndQuadrant