Re: Problem with pg_upgrade?

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem with pg_upgrade?
Date: 2011-03-31 15:32:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 31.03.2011 17:55, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I will work on code to allow autovacuum_max_workers to be set to zero in
> HEAD and 9.0, and have pg_upgrade us that.

We've intentionally not allowed the user to disable anti-wraparound
autovacuum before. Do we really want to allow it now for the sake of
pg_upgrade?

> I think the maintenance
> overhead of an invisible variable is too much.

A simple GUC or command-line switch isn't much code.

Is the problem just that the clog files get removed too early, or is
there something else? If it's just the clog files, we could simply copy
them (again) after updating datfrozenxids.

--
Heikki Linnakangas