Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix plpgsql to release SPI plans when a function or DO block is

From: Jan Urbański <wulczer(at)wulczer(dot)org>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix plpgsql to release SPI plans when a function or DO block is
Date: 2011-03-30 18:21:05
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 28/03/11 17:25, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Jan Urbański (wulczer(at)wulczer(dot)org) wrote:
>>>
>>> Offhand I think the other PLs leave management of prepared plans to the
>>> user. If there are any places where they cache plans behind the scenes,
>>> maybe a similar fix would be appropriate.
>>
>> FWIW I executed
>>
>> do $$ plpy.execute("select 1 from pg_class") $$ language plpythonu;
>>
>> 10k times in a session and the backend grew a lot in memory and never
>> released it. I can't offhand see where the memory went, I'll try to
>> investigate in the evening.
>
> I'm about 90% sure that they all have this problem.. I havn't had a
> chance to look at how Tom fixed pl/pgsql (I didn't think it'd be easy to
> do w/o coming up with a way to explicitly tell the PL to release
> something) so perhaps I'm mistaken, but they all share very similar
> code..

Valgrind showed me the way. PFA a trivial patch to avoid leaking a
PLyProcedure struct in inline blocks.

Prepared plans get cleaned up currectly, the SPI plan is deallocated
when the Python plan object is garbage collected.

Cheers,
Jan

Attachment Content-Type Size
plpython-leak.diff text/x-patch 584 bytes