Re: first time odbc

From: Raymond O'Donnell <rod(at)iol(dot)ie>
To: Marc Fromm <Marc(dot)Fromm(at)wwu(dot)edu>
Cc: "postgresql(at)finner(dot)de" <postgresql(at)finner(dot)de>, "pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: first time odbc
Date: 2011-03-30 15:47:37
Lists: pgsql-odbc
On 30/03/2011 15:54, Marc Fromm wrote:
> I only want the users to read data, thus I removed superuser and
> applied grant select.

Good stuff.

> If the listen_address is not a client filter, would it still be
> better to only have it listen to localhost and the few ip addresses
> that will need to odbc to the postgres database? Is it just not
> possible to assign listen_address = 'localhost, 1.ip.address,
> 2.ip.address'?

You're still misunderstanding listen_addresses - it has *nothing* to do
with client addresses.

Example: I have a server with two network interfaces, a.b.c.x and
a.b.c.y. If I want PG to listen on both interfaces, I can set
listen_addresses = '*' (or list the two addresses explicitly). If I want
it to listen *only* on a.b.c.x, then I set listen_addresses='a.b.c.x'.

> One other thing still, if in the pg_hba.conf file I do not include
> any ip addresses I cannot connect to the database. If I enter just
> one ip address, any computer can connect to the database, even though
> some machines have static ip addresses and others have dhcp address
> from a completely different subnet. Do you know why this is? I
> figured the pg_hba.conf file controlled access by ip address, based
> on other googled articles.

Can you show us your pg_hba.conf?

Ray.

--