Re: first time odbc

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Marc Fromm <Marc(dot)Fromm(at)wwu(dot)edu>
Cc: "postgresql(at)finner(dot)de" <postgresql(at)finner(dot)de>, "pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: first time odbc
Date: 2011-03-30 15:23:31
Lists: pgsql-odbc
On 03/30/2011 07:54 AM, Marc Fromm wrote:
> I only want the users to read data, thus I removed superuser and applied grant select.
>
> If the listen_address is not a client filter, would it still be better to only have it listen to localhost and the few ip addresses that will need to odbc to the postgres database? Is it just not possible to assign listen_address = 'localhost, 1.ip.address, 2.ip.address'?

listen_address refers to the addresses available on the host. More than
one assumes you have more than one IP address bound to the database
host. You will not get the result you want using the method you propose
above.

> One other thing still, if in the pg_hba.conf file I do not include any ip addresses I cannot connect to the database. If I enter just one ip address, any computer can connect to the database, even though some machines have static ip addresses and others have dhcp address from a completely different subnet. Do you know why this is? I figured the pg_hba.conf file controlled access by ip address, based on other googled articles.

pg_hba.conf works by first match wins. My guess is you have line above
your IP line that is more permissive and is allowing connections. Per a
fully understand the interaction between the various security,access
components of Postgres:)

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com