Re: Problem with streaming replication, backups, and recovery (9.0.x)

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: depesz(at)depesz(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with streaming replication, backups, and recovery (9.0.x)
Date: 2011-03-30 07:56:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On 30.03.2011 09:25, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Fujii Masao<masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>  wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:54 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>  wrote:
>>> Hmm, why did we change that?
>>
>> I'm not sure, but I guess that's because I missed the case where crash
>> recovery starts from the backup :(
>>
>>> It seems like a mistake, the database is not
>>> consistent until you reach the backup stop location, whether or not you're
>>> doing archive recovery. +1 for reverting that, and backpatching it as well.
>>
>> Agreed.
>
> Attached patch reverts that. Comments?

Looks good, committed.

We could also improve the error message. If we haven't reached the
end-of-backup location, we could say something along the lines of:

ERROR: WAL ends before the end of online backup
HINT: Online backup must be ended with pg_stop_backup(), and all the WAL
up to that point must be available at recovery.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas