Re: JDBC gripe list

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>,<pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JDBC gripe list
Date: 2011-03-27 13:31:33
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Dave Cramer wrote:

> My sense is that for basic read/write/update/delete the driver
> works just fine. However I'd like to compile a list of everyone's
> gripe.

At the top of my list is the need to use a cursor to avoid
materializing the entire result set in heap during execution of an
execute method. Pulling data off the wire should be done in
ResultSet.next() method. Yes I know this is not a trivial change,
and yes I know that it means that you can get errors during the
next() method which currently happen during execute.

There are several reasons this can improve performance, as well as
eliminating a commonly reported problem with OutOfMemoryError
exceptions when people don't know about the issue or accidentally
miss one of the requirements.

-Kevin