Re: Proposal for a PostgreSQL Print Magazine

From: Satoshi Nagayasu <satoshi(dot)nagayasu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal for a PostgreSQL Print Magazine
Date: 2011-03-15 01:16:08
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-es-fomento

Hi folks,

On 2011/03/15 7:00, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 3/10/11 2:53 PM, damien clochard wrote:
>> I think that would be great to have a print media to keep in touch with
>> this large user base, because these are the folks that will recommend
>> PostgreSQL to their clients, co-workers, directors, etc.
>
> Everything else being equal, this is a cool idea.
>
> However, the biggest issue for this is getting enough writers. We don't
> have that many people in our community who can write well, and those we
> do have, have multiple demands for writing on their time (I myself am
> backlogged a couple months for two publications).
>
> Realistically, we'd need to pay writers as well as the editor and the
> editor/translators. It is unclear on how we would do this initially;
> SPI has a precedent of not paying for people's time, and US, EU and JP
> only pay for things in their respective countries. Once we had regular
> publication, we could solicit donations from advertisers.
>
> I'd think that 3 to 4 issues per year would be sufficient.

Yeah, I agree with that.

> To sum up, the drawbacks to doing this are:
> a) would take writing time away from general publications which reach
> new users

We (Japan PostgreSQL Users Group / JPUG) have a web site, called
"Let's Postgres", to collect PostgreSQL technical articles.

http://translate.google.co.jp/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=ja&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Flets.postgresql.jp%2F

We already have writers and lots of articles, so I think it's possible
to provide a few articles for each issue, translating into English would
be required though.

To make it possible, we need a few volunteers to review and rewrite
*English* to support our English skills. Is it possible?

> b) printing costs/waste

JPUG also have some experiences for publishing printed newsletters,
We got the fund for printing cost from its advertisements.
It worked fine for us.

> c) unclear on how to pay for the first issue
> d) currently no volunteer as editor

In this case, does "Editor" mean DTP guys? or review and rewrite guys?

To review or rewrite articles, is our review process, CommitFest, possible
to work for this magazine? EditFest? :)

Regards,
--
NAGAYASU Satoshi <satoshi(dot)nagayasu(at)gmail(dot)com>