Re: config patch: Note changing timezone requires restart

From: Glen Barber <glen(dot)j(dot)barber(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-testers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: config patch: Note changing timezone requires restart
Date: 2011-03-11 21:39:48
Lists: pgsql-testers
On 3/10/11 1:19 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 3/9/11 6:16 PM, Glen Barber wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm not sure of the best place to submit this.  I'm running 9.0.3 and
>> noticed changing the timezone requires a server restart to take effect.
>
> TimeZone is just a default timezone for new sessions.  The server itself
> does not have a timezone.
>
> Mind you, a client connection default should change for new sessions
> after a reload.  Have you tested that it doesn't?

Hi Josh,

It looks like I was looking down the wrong rabbit hole.  Sorry for the
noise.  However, I am seeing odd behavior with clients setting timezone
to 'UTC' that changed since 9.0.0 and 9.0.3.  Superficially, it appears
9.0.3 isn't traversing /usr/share/zoneinfo properly to find Etc/UTC.

I'll post to -general@ once I've verified it isn't pilot error.

Best regards,

--
Glen Barber