Re: Proposal for a PostgreSQL Print Magazine

From: damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>
To: Susanne Ebrecht <susanne(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL EU <pgsql-eu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal for a PostgreSQL Print Magazine
Date: 2011-03-09 20:57:46
Lists: pgeu-general
Le 09/03/2011 18:49, Susanne Ebrecht a écrit :
> Damien,
>
> the idea is great - but -
>
> first of all FOSDEM is a community only event. Nothing that smells
> like company advertising should be shown.

I don't understand what you mean... What company ?

> The second - we are giving talks on FOSDEM and we publish the
> slides - isn't that already enough?

I think a conference talk and a print magazine are two different things,
it's kinda weird to oppose one to another...

Actually they are  complementary : i talked to several persons at the PG
booth during FOSDEM...and most of them didn't attend the PostgreSQL
track on Sunday.

My point is : on the PG booth, we have advocacy material for people who
want to discover PostgreSQL (the leaflet) but we don't have many things
to give away to already-convinced-users. Most of the time, these users
are happy with Postgres, they just want to know "what's up in the
community" but they don't have time to follow the planet or hang on
IRC... A paper mag could be a nice way to keep in touch with them.

> Are there really so much ppl in France reading print magazines?

Like i said, the GNU/Linux Magazine France publish an article on
PostgreSQL in almost every issue... To my knowledge, they print 25000
copies per month. There's 6 or 7 other magazines like this one...

You may call us old-fashioned but the paper is still popular in France :)

> I really doubt that you will find much Germans that really would read it.

Well that's exactly why i want to create an "issue #0" !

Once we have a demo version, we can give it to ppl during events, see
how they react and then decide if it's worth the time and energy.

--
damien clochard
dalibo.com | dalibo.org