Re: Missing Bug-Report #5904?

From: Torsten Zühlsdorff <foo(at)meisterderspiele(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Missing Bug-Report #5904?
Date: 2011-03-08 13:08:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hello Tom,

>> Now for the Problem: There is a problem with the translation of the
>> english word "March" to the german "März". Instead of "März" i get
>> "MäRz" (with uppercase "r").
>
>> You can reproduce it as follow:
>> # SET lc_time = "de_DE.UTF-8";
>> # SELECT to_char('2011-03-04 00:00:01'::date, 'TMMonth YYYY');
>> to_char
>> -----------
>> MäRz 2011
>
> I can reproduce the above when the database encoding is not UTF8 or
> lc_ctype isn't a UTF8 locale. The reason is that TMMonth implies
> applying an initcap transformation to the month name retrieved from
> the locale library. The only way initcap will make the right choice
> of what to do with the "r" is if it thinks that ä is a letter.
> Which it won't if the encoding is wrong or lc_ctype isn't set to
> classify ä as a letter. This does not seem like a bug to me
> though, just misconfiguration.

Hm... encoding of the database is UTF8. The lc_ctype is 'C'.
Maybe this may be a misconfiguration, but is there another way to get it
work right than recreating the complete database with another locale?

But don't that mean, that the translation of the timestamp to languages
with other umlauts should also be wrong. For example to "fr_FR.UTF-8"?

Greetings from Germany,
Torsten