Re: .oO - Translation

From: damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: .oO - Translation
Date: 2011-03-02 10:07:23
Lists: pgsql-www
Le 01/03/2011 18:17, Magnus Hagander a écrit :
>> Presumably when we move to Django, we can use its built-in multilingual
>> > stuff, no?
> No. And yes.
>
> There is no magic in django. It has a framework, but you hav eto write
> the code to actually use it. We decided not to write that code at all
> this time, since there has been zero actual demand (from people who
> would do the translation) once the potential requestor realized what
> the work actually means.

The current website for PG Day Europe is based on dokuwiki which handles
nicely translations. The website in itself is quite simple and for a
while we had 4 versions at the same time ( english, french, italian,
german) but we quickly failed to keep things up-to-date. And right now,
i can't even tell how much lag there is. For a event small website such
as the pgday.eu, that's not very important because obviously the website
lives and dies every year. But for the pg.org, the actual work to keep
pages up-to-date would be really really huge.

i agree with Magnus here, this is not a technical problem. it's a matter
of man power.

By the way, the oracle.fr website is a terrible mess... The front page
is translated in French, but the other pages are an awful mix of
english-french content.

--
damien clochard
dalibo.com | dalibo.org