Re: Native XML

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Anton" <antonin(dot)houska(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>,"Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Native XML
Date: 2011-02-28 22:28:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Anton <antonin(dot)houska(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> it was actually the focal point of my considerations: whether to
> store plain text or 'something else'.

Given that there were similar issues for other hierarchical data
types, perhaps we need something similar to tsvector, but for
hierarchical data. The extra layer of abstraction might not cost
much when used for XML compared to the possible benefit with other
data. It seems likely to be a very nice fit with GiST indexes.

So under this idea, you would always have the text (or maybe byte
array?) version of the XML, and you could "shard" it to a separate
column for fast searches.

-Kevin