Re: BUG #5896: When server cannot be started, first it says that it couldn't be started and then Server Started

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Nacho Mezzadra" <nachomezzadra(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5896: When server cannot be started, first it says that it couldn't be started and then Server Started
Date: 2011-02-28 19:32:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs
[rearranged to eliminate top-posting]

Nacho Mezzadra <nachomezzadra(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> wrote:
>> "Nacho Mezzadra" <nachomezzadra(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> could not start server
>>> PostgreSQL 8.3 started successfully
>>
>> That looks like a packaging problem.  The lines starting with
>> uppercase letters appear to have come from the service script,
>> not PostgreSQL itself.

> Meaning that I should fix the service script myself? It's not that
> i wouldn't do it, but just making sure what you are saying.

Sorry.  I don't remember you saying whose build you installed, so
I'm not sure whether the packager will be tracking this list.  If
not, you might want to look for another venue to raise the issue.

Of course, if you feel comfortable adjusting the script, you're in
good shape to work around it yourself.  If you go that route, you
might want to look at my attempt at an LSB-conforming script to see
if any of that is useful for you.  When I suggested this script
there were objections that it was too long and that most of that
logic really belonged in pg_ctl, so I just threw it into the Wiki in
case anyone finds it useful:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Lsb_conforming_init_script

-Kevin