Re: BUG #5901: Delayed Write Failed

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5901: Delayed Write Failed
Date: 2011-02-28 03:28:44
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On 02/27/11 7:13 PM, Gie Rizkiadi wrote:
> I have installed PostgreSQL 8.4.1 running on 112 Embedded PC OS Microsoft
> Windows XP Embedded Version 2002 Service Pack 2 Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270
> @1.60 GHz 1.32 GHz, 0.99 GB of RAM and 8GB Harddisk ( 6GB Free ) which are
> connected to LAN, most of that during network problems or disconnected
> causes PostgreSQL services suddenly stop and cannot start anymore even
> manually, the taskbar shows Windows Delayed Write Failed. Is anyone know
> what cause of this and how to solve this ?

you can not run a database server on unreliable network storage.  you
really shouldn't run a database server on any sort of network file
shared storage (SMB/CIFS, etc).

Delayed Write means the operating system has cached data in memory that
its unable to write to the disk, so it doesn't know what to do since it
already told the application that it was OK to continue.