Re: database is bigger after dump/restore - why? (60 GB to 109 GB)

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: database is bigger after dump/restore - why? (60 GB to 109 GB)
Date: 2011-02-24 19:46:48
Lists: pgsql-general

On 02/24/11 11:02 AM, Aleksey Tsalolikhin wrote:

> How do I check the fillfactor on the table, please?

its in the field reloptions in pg_class. so...

select reloptions from pg_class where relname='tablename';

if tablename is non-unique, you'll need to qualify that with the OID of
the namespace (aka schema).

> My largest table is 50 GB in size; when I pg_dump it, and then
> pg_restore it, it becomes 100 GB in size.
>
> How do I pg_restore it so that it is 50 GB in size? Is it a setting
> to pg_dump or to pg_restore?

are you truncating the table before restoring, or is this a restore into
a new database, or what?