Re: Named restore points

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
To: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Named restore points
Date: 2011-02-24 15:28:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Em 08-02-2011 17:35, Thom Brown escreveu:
> This could do with a bit more documentation about usage. Below the
> Backup Control Functions table
> (http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/functions-admin.html#FUNCTIONS-ADMIN-BACKUP-TABLE),
> each function has a paragraph detailing what it does.

I forgot to check it.

> Also, I notice you can easily write over a label. The case I'm
> thinking of is someone in psql creating a named restore point, then
> later on, they go in again, accidentally cursor up and select the
> previous statement and create it again. Would this mean that the
> previous label is lost, or would it be the case that any subsequent
> duplicate labels would have no effect unless the WAL files with the
> original label in were consumed? In either case, a note in the docs
> about this would be useful.

This is a limitation that I pointed out [1] but people decided to postpone
named restore point management. The first one is used as restore point. I
added it in the attached patch.

> And I don't see these label creations getting logged either. Could we
> output that to the log because at least then users can grep the
> directory for labels, and, in most cases, the time they occurred?

Good point. I included location instead of time; time is already supplied by
log file.

The following patch implements the Thom's suggestions.

[1] http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4D48209C.7050109@timbira.com

--
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
http://www.timbira.com/