Re: "Invalid byte sequence" message

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Vik Reykja <vikreykja(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Maximilian Tyrtania <lists(at)contactking(dot)de>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "Invalid byte sequence" message
Date: 2011-02-23 23:02:24
Lists: pgadmin-support

Le 23/02/2011 23:57, Vik Reykja a écrit :
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 23:37, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>wrote:
>

>>> I disagree. Any system that offers to write my messages in French should
>> do
>>> so correctly, *especially* if it's the default.

>> Yeah. There are three main issues with translated messages:
>>
>> * Try searching anything on Google with french messages. You'll be
>> lucky if you find something, and you'll get billions of results in
>> english.
>>

> Chicken and egg. The more we discourage localized messages, the less
> information there will be about them. Why even bother translating?

For new users who want to try without having to deal with english message.

>> * Try asking something in the mailing lists with french messages. The
>> first answer will be: get us the english messages.
>>

> Even on the French mailing list? Again, I see this as a problem to be
> solved, not avoided.

No. But you don't have many hackers on the french mailing lists :)

>> * Try using any log parser (like pgfouine) with french messages. It
>> won't work (even with this tool, written by a french guy).
>>

> So you've succeeded in making an argument for improving that tool :-)

Actually, no. The english messages don't change between minor releases.
French messages do, and a lot. There won't be any easy way to add such a
feature to pgFouine.

--
Guillaume
http://www.postgresql.fr