Re: "Invalid byte sequence" message

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Vik Reykja <vikreykja(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Maximilian Tyrtania <lists(at)contactking(dot)de>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "Invalid byte sequence" message
Date: 2011-02-23 22:37:30
Lists: pgadmin-support
Le 23/02/2011 23:20, Vik Reykja a écrit :
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 23:11, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>wrote:
>
>>  > default) on a French Windows.
>>>
>>> See this unresolved thread for more info:
>>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2010-09/msg00138.php
>>>

>>> I get it quite easily with LC_MESSAGES = 'French, France' (the
>> installer's
>> That's what the guy has (see
>> http://forums.postgresql.fr/viewtopic.php?pid=8214#p8214 if you read
>> french). I assume it would work well with lc_messages set to C.
>
> I set it to 'en_US' which has the same effect.

Yeah, that's right. I set it to C because it needs less typing :)

>> Any production server should have lc_messages set to C.
>>

> I disagree.  Any system that offers to write my messages in French should do
> so correctly, *especially* if it's the default.

Yeah. There are three main issues with translated messages:

 * Try searching anything on Google with french messages. You'll be
   lucky if you find something, and you'll get billions of results in
   english.

 * Try asking something in the mailing lists with french messages. The
   first answer will be: get us the english messages.

 * Try using any log parser (like pgfouine) with french messages. It
   won't work (even with this tool, written by a french guy).

I said french, but I suppose these issues are also a problem to other
languages. Other meaning all but english.

> In any case, it's a core PostgreSQL bug, not a PGAdmin bug.  It could be
> dealt with a little more gracefully, though.

Well, pgAdmin could read lc_messages value to guess if it can read it.
That's probably all we can do.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr