Re: Correctly producing array literals for prepared statements

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>
Cc: Kenneth Marshall <ktm(at)rice(dot)edu>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Correctly producing array literals for prepared statements
Date: 2011-02-23 20:50:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 02/23/2011 02:21 PM, Andrew Chernow wrote:

>> Binary mode had serious limitations, such as portability.
>>

> What are the other limitations?
>
> As far as portability is concerned, we are using it on many different
> operating systems and architectures without issue. Even our most
> recent bump to 9.0.1 and 9.0.3 was flawless in regard to
> libpq/libpqtypes.

It's probably fine if you can control both ends. But there is no
guarantee of portability, nor does it seem likely to me there ever will
be, so I don't find your assertion terribly useful. The fact that it
hasn't broken for you doesn't mean it can't or won't be.

The other downside I see is that binary protocols are often a lot harder
to debug, but maybe that's just me.

cheers

andrew