Re: Fwd: [JDBC] Weird issues when reading UDT from stored function

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: rsmogura <rsmogura(at)softperience(dot)eu>
Cc: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Lukas Eder <lukas(dot)eder(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: [JDBC] Weird issues when reading UDT from stored function
Date: 2011-02-17 11:44:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

On 18/02/11 00:37, rsmogura wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 00:06:22 +1300, Oliver Jowett wrote:
>> On 17/02/11 23:18, rsmogura wrote:
>>> Yes, but driver checks number of declared out parameters and number of
>>> resulted parameters (even check types of those), to prevent programming
>>> errors.
>>
>> And..?
>>
>> Oliver
>
> And it will throw exception when result will income. If you will remove
> this then you will lose check against programming errors, when number of
> expected parameters is different that number of actual parameters. Bear
> in mind that you will get result set of 6 columns, but only 1 is
> expected. I think you can't determine what should be returned and how to
> fix result without signature.

You've completely missed the point. I am not suggesting we change those
checks at all. I am suggesting we change how the JDBC driver translates
call escapes to queries so that for N OUT parameters, we always get
exactly N result columns, without depending on the datatypes of the
parameters in any way.

Oliver