Re: From SQLite to Postgres

From: Michael Ewan <michael(dot)ewan(at)intel(dot)com>
To: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: From SQLite to Postgres
Date: 2011-02-16 18:29:22
Lists: pdxpug

On 02/16/2011 10:18 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 10:03 -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
>> I've not done this before so I don't know where the gotcha's might be.
>>
>> I downloaded a rather huge well log file (that is, a record of all wells
>> dug after being granted a water right) for another state. Naturally, they
>> have it as an Access table (.mdb). I used the tool, mdb-sqlite to convert it
>> to a sqlite3 database, then dumped it from sqlite as a .sql file.
>
> If you have access to Access, that is the best bet. You would just open
> the access database and link tables from postgresql and then you can
> literally drag and drop.
>
> If you can't do that I would use Perl or Python to connect to the sqlite
> database and move the data directly across to PostgreSQL.

Sounds like Rich doesn't have Access, just the data file. One thing
might want to try is Talend, it's open source ETL and might be able to
read the Access file directly. I know it will talk to PostgreSQL
directly and would do the translation for you. Talend is a graphical
process builder that outputs either Perl or Java to do the actual work.