Re: SSI patch version 14

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>,<markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SSI patch version 14
Date: 2011-02-02 14:27:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> I converted the next test, receipt-report, grab that from my git
> repository first.

Will do.

> It produces over two hundred permutations, so it's going to be a
> bit tedious to check the output for that, but I think it's still
> acceptable so that we don't need more complicated rules for what is
> accepted. IOW, we can just print the output of all permutations and
> "diff", we won't need "if step X ran before step Y, commit should
> succeed" rules that the python version had.

During initial development, I was very glad to have the one-line-
per-permutation summary; however, lately I've been wishing for more
detail, such as is available with this approach. At least for the
moment, what this provides is exactly what is most useful. If there
is ever a major refactoring (versus incremental enhancements), it
might be worth developing a way to filter the detailed input into the
sort of summary we were getting from dtester, but we can cross that
bridge when (and if) we come to it.

-Kevin