Re: [pgsql-general 2011-1-21:] Are there any projects interested in object functionality? (+ rule bases)

From: Nick Rudnick <joerg(dot)rudnick(at)t-online(dot)de>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-general 2011-1-21:] Are there any projects interested in object functionality? (+ rule bases)
Date: 2011-01-31 22:40:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Robert,

a good moment to clear things up:

* Of course, compliance with an ISO-SQL standard is of minimal
importance -- I just grabbed it from the docs.

* The same holds (in a somewhat weaker way) for Java -- I would even
prefer the more general notion type instead of OO, but I am asking in
interest of a CS professor I worked for in the past, who is looking for
impressive demos of non standard DBMS technology. The students might
find resemblance to Java helpful, who knows?

* In this regard it is of interest in how far there are principal
efficiency problems with the support of (deeply nested) object like
structure by the backend, or if the backend may be expected to do this
job not terribly worse then more specialized OODMS -- of course, I would
be interested in any discussions of these topics...

* The same question for doing rule bases on top of the PostgreSQL backend...

* For teaching at university courses, on the other hand, efficiency
would be of lower interest, so there was an idea that there might be
some (possibly toy example like) efforts to tune the frontend into this
direction.

== Academic prototypes, which preferably do not bring too much overhead
for students.

Cheers,

Nick