Re: Github commit messages to pgsql-www

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, w^3 <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Github commit messages to pgsql-www
Date: 2011-01-26 16:20:58
Lists: pgsql-www

On 01/26/2011 10:56 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Personally I think there is way too much third-party crap showing up on
> pgsql-committers already. I am very close to changing my filters to
> bit-bucket *everything* out of pgfoundry, and you can bet that if stuff
> from github starts being allowed through, it will go straight to
> /dev/null here.

That's your privilege. Personally, I filter committers into two buckets:
pgsql and everything else. The everything else folder often only gets
looked at once a week or so. But I do find it useful to see what's going
on elsewhere.

The reason I moved the buildfarm client code to github is that pgfoundry
doesn't support git, and I like github's web interface much more than
the generic one we're using on git.postgresql.org. The buildfarm server
code has never been on pgfoundry, but when I published it recently I
again chose github, for the same reasons.

> What I'd like to see is a reversion to the original design wherein
> commit traffic for pgfoundry projects goes to lists for those individual
> projects. As for github, people who want to watch that can watch it,
> but please don't clutter pgsql-committers with it.

I'm not sure where the original design bit comes in. I was involved
heavily in setting up pgfoundry (not sure if that's a claim to fame or
infamy, but my excuse is that Josh shanghaied me) and this has been part
of its behaviour from the start, IIRC.

Certainly I can set up a mailing list on pgfoundry and send commit
messages there. I was simply trying to fit in with existing practice.

cheers

andrew