Re: SSI patch version 14

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, "Dan Ports" <drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SSI patch version 14
Date: 2011-01-26 16:01:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 11:36 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
>
>> Pounding for hours on 16 CPU box sounds good. What diagnostics or
>> instrumentation are included with the patch? How will we know
>> whether pounding for hours is actually touching all relevant
>> parts of code? I've done such things myself only to later realise
>> I wasn't actually testing the right piece of code.
>
> An example of this is the XIDCACHE_DEBUG code used in procarray.c
> to validate TransactionIdIsInProgress().

It isn't exactly equivalent, but on a conceptually similar note some
of the hours of DBT-2 pounding were done with #ifdef statements to
force code into code paths which are normally rarely used. We left
one of them in the codebase with the #define commented out, although
I know that's not strictly necessary. (It does provide a convenient
place to put a comment about what it's for, though.)

In looking at it just now, I noticed that after trying it in a
couple different places what was left in the repository was not the
optimal version for code coverage. I've put this back to the
version which did a better job, for reasons described in the commit
comment:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=users/kgrittn/postgres.git;a=commitdiff;h=8af1bc84318923ba0ec3d4413f374a3beb10bc70

Dan, did you have some others which should maybe be included?

I'm not sure I see any counts we could get from SSI which would be
useful beyond what we might get from a code coverage tool or
profiling, but I'm open to suggestions.

-Kevin