Re: Multicolun index creation never completes on 9.0.1/solaris

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multicolun index creation never completes on 9.0.1/solaris
Date: 2011-01-26 02:57:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs
>> If it's going to take 3 minutes each to write each of 3745 tapes, that
>> means completing in around 9 days.
>
> Your logic has nothing to do with what is actually happening.  Could we
> have a little bit more patience to see what happens next?

OK, I'll let it run overnight and give you the trace output.

> (Memo to -hackers: what we lack in this trace is any indication of how
> long the runs are.  Maybe should add that.  Knuth claims the initial
> runs should amount to about 2X maintenance_work_mem on average, but
> maybe there's something unusual about the data distribution here.)

Well, for the straight test on event_time, the rows in the table should
have been more-or-less physically already in order.  This table is
most-insert, and event_time mostly corresponds to current server time.

For the composite index, rows would be more randomly distributed.

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.