Re: review: FDW API

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Shigeru HANADA <hanada(at)metrosystems(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Jan Urbański <wulczer(at)wulczer(dot)org>, Postgres - Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: review: FDW API
Date: 2011-01-21 16:28:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 18.01.2011 17:26, Shigeru HANADA wrote:
> 3) 20110118-fdw_handler.patch - This patch adds support for HANDLER
> option to FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER object.

Some quick comments on that:

* I wonder if CREATE FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER should automatically create
the handler function, if it doesn't exist yet. That's what CREATE
LANGUAGE does, which is similar. Although it doesn't seem to be
documented for CREATE LANGUAGE either, is it deprecated?

* The elogs in parse_func_options() should be ereports.

* pg_dump should check the version number and only try to select
fdwhandler column if >= 9.1. See the other functions there for example
of that.

* dumpForeignDataWrapper() in pg_dump checks if fdwhandler field is "-".
I don't think we use that as magic value there, do we? Same with validator.

* Please check that the HANDLER and VALIDATOR options that pg_dump
creates properly quoted.

--
Heikki Linnakangas