Re: RPM question: Where to put psycopg2 files

From: Federico Di Gregorio <federico(dot)digregorio(at)dndg(dot)it>
To: psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RPM question: Where to put psycopg2 files
Date: 2011-01-17 08:05:40
Lists: psycopg

On 17/01/2011 07:59, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> As of PostgreSQL 9.0+, PostgreSQL RPMs can be installed in parallel,
> e.g., you can use 9.0 along with 9.1. I updated most of the packages to
> use that layout, but I'm stuck with psycopg2.
>
> psycopg2 is currently installed under this directory:
>
> `python -c "from distutils.sysconfig import get_python_lib; print
> get_python_lib(1)"`/psycopg2
>
> For example,
>
> /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/psycopg2/
>
> If I want to install two different psycopg2 versions which are compiled
> against 9.0 and 9.1, they will overwrite each other.
>
> What is the best way to use separate directories for that? Is there a
> setup.py parameter for that?

You don't need that, because psycopg uses libpq that can connect to
older versions of the backend.

I don't know about RPMs but in Debian we have multiple versions of
postgresql and only *one* libpqXX package (usually it comes from the
most recent stable release). So my suggestion is to have only one
version of psycopg linked to the most recent libpq package.

--
Federico Di Gregorio federico(dot)digregorio(at)dndg(dot)it
Studio Associato Di Nunzio e Di Gregorio http://dndg.it