Re: German translation bug

From: Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)web(dot)de>
To: "Harald Armin Massa[legacy]" <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: German translation bug
Date: 2011-01-14 18:15:51
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hello Harald,

On 12.01.2011 12:36, Harald Armin Massa[legacy] wrote:
> I concur that "Host" and "Server" both are valid translations of the "host"
> field. I think translation "Server" predates my translation efforts by
> years.

As we already figured out - it is a Unix vs. Windows world difference.
Windows folk might be familiar with calling a host a server but in
Linux/Unix world a server is either a daemon or hardware.

Anyway .... here is my opinion:

> a) change "Server" to "Host" and make it easier for some of the newcomers
> and invalidate all existing external documentations

As we already figured out ... maybe Windows folk will complain then.

> b) change "Server" to "Server/Host" to make it easier for some of the
> newcomers and only partly invalidate all existing external documentations

I prefer this.

> c) leave it as it is

The whole German PostgreSQL documentation translated host with Host.
Only PgAdmin calls it server.
Do you really want that we change all the other PostgreSQL translations?
Error messages, help tables and so on and so on?
I doubt.

> d) change it to Server (Netzwerkadresse), thereby only partly invalidate all
> existing external documetation but being more explicit

Netzwerkadresse sounds like Wagenrückholtaste -> Everybody calls it
Return or Enter today :)
Honestly, Netzwerkadresse is antiquated.

Look what Duden says:

*Host
<http://www.duden-suche.de/suche/abstract.php?shortname=fx&artikel_id=1006740>*,
der; -[s], -s [engl. host (→Hostess
<http://www.duden-suche.de/suche/abstract.php?shortname=fx&verweis=1&artikel_id=76071>)]
(EDV): (in einem System von Computern od. Terminals) ...

Susanne

--
Susanne Ebrecht
Bielefeld