New options dialog

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: New options dialog
Date: 2011-01-09 23:26:19
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi,

At pgday.eu 2010, Dave and I discussed about the options dialog. We
would like to make it look like the Visual Studio options dialog.
Something like this one:

http://www.timvw.be/wp-content/images/msbuildverbosity.gif

So, tonight, I've been thinking about it and how to use the treeview,
and here is what I propose:

General
Help path
(PG help path, EDB help path, GP help path, Slony help path)
Binaries path
(PG bin path, EDB bin path, GP bin path, Slony bin path,
Ignore server/utility version mismatches)
Miscellanous
(System schemas)
Browser
Display
(list of objects, Default button)
Properties
Table
(Count rows if estimated less than)
Miscellanous
(Font, Confirm object deletion, Show system objects in the
treeview, Show users for privileges, Show object properties on
double click in the treeview)
Query tool
Query editor
(Font, Indent characters, Use spaces instead of tabs, Copy SQL
from main window to query tool)
Results grid
(Result copy quoting, Result copy quote character, Result copy
field seperator, Show NULL values as <NULL>)
Query file
(Read and write Unicode UTF-8 files, Write BOM for UTF files,
Do not prompt for unsaved files on exit)
Favourites
(File path)
Macros
(File path)
History file
(File path, Maximum queries to store, Maximum size of a stored
query)
pgAgent
(Maximum rows to retrieve)
Colours
Foreground/Background
Caret
Syntax highlighting
Status Window
Miscellanous
Guru hints
(Do not show gutu hints; Reset guru hints)
Logging
(Logfile, Log level)

Comments?

BTW, does anyone know what "max characters per column" is supposed to
do? AFAICT, it's not used in the current code.

--
Guillaume
http://www.postgresql.fr