Re: Crash in a specific situation while adding constraints

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Eric Ongerth <ericongerth(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Crash in a specific situation while adding constraints
Date: 2011-01-03 08:37:18
Lists: pgadmin-support

Le 02/01/2011 23:29, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
> Le 01/01/2011 19:30, Eric Ongerth a écrit :
>> Hi, I think this is the first time pgAdmin III has actually crashed for me,
>> so it has a very good record over several years!
>>
>> I'm running Windows 7 32-bit, and pgAdmin 1.12.0. This was an unusual
>> situation, not very typical usage, but I suppose it still should not cause a
>> crash.
>>
>> To replicate: create a table, do not create the primary key yet. Give this
>> table an id column, and a "parent_id" column. Now open a window to create a
>> new foreign key for this table. Leave that window open but do not complete
>> it yet. Now open a window to create the primary key for the table, complete
>> the primary key form and click OK to finish. Now go back to the remaining
>> open window to finish creating the foreign key, which should be parent_id
>> referencing id. The point is to make it a self-referential table. Anyway,
>> when you complete the foreign key creation window and click OK on it,
>> pgAdminIII crashes.
>>

> OK, I'm able to reproduce it in different ways. I have a strange cold
> feeling this won't be easy to fix. Anyway, I'll work on this.

With some sleep, I'm quite sure the issue is related to the fact we
refresh the treeview right after creating the primary key, meaning the
pointers available on the foreign key creation dialog are all screwed,
hence the crash.

That's also why we have so many "creative" way to crash pgAdmin. For
example, open the foreign key creation dialog, refresh the table node,
do something related to the table, and see pgAdmin crash.

I'm afraid we won't be able to do something without a major rewrite of
pgAdmin :-/

--
Guillaume
http://www.postgresql.fr