Re: New indexing technique

From: 3dmashup <3dmashup(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New indexing technique
Date: 2010-12-26 18:17:55
Lists: pgsql-novice

Nirmesh,

You may wish to start off with a little reading;

Toni Guttmans PHD thesis on R-Trees. It lots on good information on
how R-Trees work.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.66.1675&rep=rep1&type=pdf
<http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.66.1675&rep=rep1&type=pdf>

Joey Hellersteins paper on GiST. To quote the paper " In a single data
structure, the GiST provides all the basic search tree logic required by
a database system, thereby unifying disparate structures such as
B+-trees and R-trees in a single piece of code, and opening the
application of search trees to general extensibility."

http://db.cs.berkeley.edu/papers/vldb95-gist.pdf

Any of the UC Berkeley Indexing papers and presentations

http://gist.cs.berkeley.edu/papers.html

The PostgreSQL docs on index extensions

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/xindex.html

Then there is the relevant PostgreSQL source code directories for
implementations

http://doxygen.postgresql.org/dir_31ee19f57a8ad805951cec78b0cc5ec5.html

This is lots of information, it will give you the theory and the
implementation of R-Trees and and GiST.
FYI, a 1D R-Tree is analogous to a B-Tree.

Regards

Tim