Re: postgres performance tunning

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: selvi88 <selvi(dot)dct(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres performance tunning
Date: 2010-12-17 13:20:19
Lists: pgsql-performance
selvi88 wrote:
>         I have a requirement for running more that 15000 queries per second.
> Can you please tell what all are the postgres parameters needs to be changed
> to achieve this.
>         Already I have 17GB RAM and dual core processor and this machine is
> dedicated for database operation.

You can find a parameter tuning guide at that may
help you out.

You are unlikely to hit 15K queries/second with a dual core processor.
When I run really trivial queries using the pgbench program to simulate
database activity, that normally gives about 7K queries/second/core.  My
dual-core laptop will do 13K/second for example.  And real-world queries
tend to be a bit more intensive than that.  I would normally expect that
a quad-core system would be needed to reach 15K even with trivial
queries; my quad-core server at home will do 28K queries/second running
pgbench.  If your individual cores are really fast, you might just make it.

"PostgreSQL 9.0 High Performance":