Re: CPU bound

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Royce Ausburn <royce(at)inomial(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CPU bound
Date: 2010-12-13 18:59:26
Lists: pgsql-performance
On 12/12/10 6:43 PM, Royce Ausburn wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I notice that when restoring a DB on a laptop with an SDD, typically postgres is maxing out a CPU - even during a COPY.  I wonder, what is postgres usually doing with the CPU?  I would have thought the disk would usually be the bottleneck in the DB, but occasionally it's not.  We're embarking on a new DB server project and it'd be helpful to understand where the CPU is likely to be the bottleneck.

That's pretty normal; as soon as you get decent disk, especially
something like an SSD with a RAM cache, you become CPU-bound.  COPY does
a LOT of parsing and data manipulation.  Index building, of course, is
almost pure CPU if you have a decent amount of RAM available.

If you're restoring from a pg_dump file, and have several cores
available, I suggest using parallel pg_restore.

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.