Re: adminpack installed?

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Fred Parkinson <FredP(at)abag(dot)ca(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: adminpack installed?
Date: 2010-12-13 18:16:20
Lists: pgsql-admin
Le 13/12/2010 18:28, Fred Parkinson a écrit :
> New to managing postgresql, I hope my questions are not a burden to this group, but I have another.
>
> I have installed version 8.4.5 of postgresql, 1.12.1 of pgadmin3.
>
> When I invoke pgadmin3 from a terminal prompt I get the message that
> "The server lacks instrumentation functions....adminpack is installed and activated by default...is included as a contrib module with all versions of PostgreSQL 8.2 and above...copy the appropriate adminpack source code ..."

With special parameters then, because you only have this message when
you launch the server status window.

> Yet adminpack.sql already exists in /contrib and according to the message, is activated by default in 8.4.5.

You need to read the complete message: "The adminpack is installed and
activated by default *if you are running the 'official' pgInstaller
distribution of PostgreSQL for Windows*".

Which, BTW, should say the onclick installer. Will fix this.

Anyway, as you use Yast, I suppose the server is not installed on a
Windows box :)

> I installed postgresql using Yast, set PGLIB and PGDATA by hand, changed ownership to postgres and ran initdb to initialize it.
> (I don't recall if I downloaded pgadmin3 from postgresql.org or used Yast to install it. In Yast the version number of pgadmin3 is in red (?), so maybe I downloaded it by hand.)
>
> Do I need to do something to tell the system adminpack is already available, or something else?

Sure. You need to execute the adminpack.sql file in the postgres database.

This is automatically done with the Windows installer because it also
installs pgAdmin3. But you need to do it yourself on Linux.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr