Re: BUG #5786: Cannot start pgsql8 application with Previleged account (Admin account)

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Jemshir A(dot)P" <jamsheer(dot)a(dot)p(at)Gmail(dot)Com>,<pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5786: Cannot start pgsql8 application with Previleged account (Admin account)
Date: 2010-12-06 14:54:41
Lists: pgsql-bugs
"Jemshir A.P" <jamsheer(dot)a(dot)p(at)Gmail(dot)Com> wrote:

> PostgreSQL version: pgsql8
> Operating system:   Windows Server 2003
>                     Previleged account

> In the application log of the server i can find the following

> The server must be started under an unprivileged user ID to
> prevent possible system security compromises.  See the
> documentation for more information on how to properly start the
> server.

> But we can strat the service successfully with a local or domain
> account which is have only user rights (Member of only users or
> only having user rights on the server).  Inshort the application
> services are starting only with under previleged account.
>
> Myrequirement is to start the application service with an account
> having admin rights.

First off, that's a terrible idea from a security perspective.
Setting that aside, I believe that this was changed from an enforced
requirement to a strong recommendation somewhere around 8.2.  Since
a bump in number after the first decimal point is a new release in
PostgreSQL, telling us you have "pgsql8" means you could have any of
five different major releases (8.0 to 8.4).

http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning

Since you seem to be running on 8.0 or 8.1 on Windows, you are
probably heading into a lot more trouble if you don't find a more
recent version to use:

http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.865

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Release_Support_Policy

In any event, it should be clear to you from reading the messages
you included in your post that this is not a bug, so the pgsql-bugs
list is not the right place to post.  Please look over the
descriptions of the lists and try to pick the appropriate one for
future posts.

http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/

-Kevin