Re: TRUNCATE HANGS

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>,<tmoore(at)ttitech(dot)net>
Subject: Re: TRUNCATE HANGS
Date: 2010-12-04 22:09:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs

tmoore wrote:

> I'm a little tired. I just indicated autocommit false, that was
> incorrect. Autocommit is true.

I would double-check that. As I said, what you showed us indicates
that something logging in through TCP on localhost is using
transactions, and not committing them when needed.

> Three threads of executions, java writer, java reader, and psql via
> cron for truncation. As an experiment, the java reader was disabled
> and the test did not block.

TRUNCATE will block or be blocked by just about anything, read or
write. A reading transaction won't release the conflicting lock
until the transaction ends.

-Kevin