Re: When will 8.1 be EOLed?

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers ML <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: When will 8.1 be EOLed?
Date: 2010-12-02 13:41:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/02/2010 08:10 AM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> IIRC we announced that we will EOL 8.1 in 2010 -- given that we are now
> in December, will it be done soon?
>
> (As a packager, I'll be happy to drop is ASAP, so that I can use those
> VMs for new OSes).

EOL does not mean we simply drop the branch on the floor. The policy at
<http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Release_Support_Policy>
states: "The first version update released after the EOL date will
normally be the final one for that version. Note that this can extend
support shortly past the listed date." That "shortly" could amount to
several months, and has in the past.

(I'm not sure I understand why you need a separate VM for each branch,
as your post seems to imply.)

cheers

andrew