Re: V3: Idle in transaction cancellation

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Andres Freund" <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: "Selena Deckelmann" <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: V3: Idle in transaction cancellation
Date: 2010-12-02 18:35:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> Do you wan't to terminate it immediately or on next statement?

I want to have one backend terminate the transaction on another
backend as soon as practicable. If a query is active, it would be
best if it was canceled. It appears that if it is "idle in
transaction" there is a need to wait for the next request. It would
be a big plus for the backend requesting the cancellation to be able
to specify the SQLSTATE, message, etc., used by the other backend on
failure.

> You might want to check out SendProcSignal() et al.

Will take a look.

> Besides that I dont like the implementation very much, I think its
> generally a good idea...

OK. While browsing around, I'll try to think of an alternative
approach, but this is new territory for me -- I've been learning
about areas in the code at need so far....

-Kevin