Re: V3: Idle in transaction cancellation

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Andres Freund" <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Selena Deckelmann" <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: V3: Idle in transaction cancellation
Date: 2010-12-01 23:48:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 October 2010 16:18:29 Kevin Grittner wrote:

>> For SSI purposes, it would be highly desirable to be able to set
>> the SQLSTATE and message generated when the canceled transaction
>> terminates.

> Ok, I implemented that capability, but the patch feels somewhat
> wrong to me,
>
> so its a separate patch on top the others:

The patch is in context diff format, applies with minor offsets,
compiles and passes regression tests.

I have to admit that after reading the patch, I think I previously
misunderstood the scope of it.  Am I correct in reading that the
main thrust of this is to improve error handling on standbys?  Is
there any provision for one backend to cause a *different* backend
which is idle in a transaction to terminate cleanly when it attempts
to process its next statement?  (That is what I was hoping to find,
for use in the SSI patch.)

Anyway, if the third patch file is only there because of my request,
I think it might be best to focus on the first two as a solution for
the standby issues this was originally meant to address, and then to
look at an API for the usage I have in mind after that is settled.

-Kevin