Re: Another proposal for table synonyms

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Alexey Klyukin <alexk(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Another proposal for table synonyms
Date: 2010-11-30 20:05:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Here is the proposal to add synonyms to PostgreSQL. Initial goal is to add synonyms
> for relations (tables, views, sequences) and an infrastructure to allow synonyms
> for other database objects in the future.

Can you explain, for our benefit, the use case for this?  Specifically,
what can be done with synonyms which can't be done with search_path and

I ask partly because I've migrated some Oracle databases to PostgreSQL,
and did not find replacing the functionality of synonyms to be at all
difficult.  Presumably you've run into a case which was difficult?

BTW, I have a specific use case for *column* synonyms which isn't
currently covered by our existing tools.

                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.