Attempting backup

From: Mick <mickg01(at)verizon(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Attempting backup
Date: 2010-11-30 17:33:58
Lists: pgsql-novice

I have a PostgreSQL database which was created, and presumably
installed, when I installed TimeTrex under Ubuntu.

Since I now want to upgrade to the latest version of Timetrex I thought
it would be a good ida to first back up mu database but attempting to
use the psql utility I get this:

sudo psql
psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"

From this i assume a non-standard installation took place with the
TimeTrex install.

Can anyone offer suggestions so I can back up my database?