Re: BUG #5765: pg_dump fail to find upper case table name

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Cristiano" <sumariva(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5765: pg_dump fail to find upper case table name
Date: 2010-11-24 15:04:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Manual says (at the bottom of
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/app-pgdump.html):
>
>> To specify an upper-case or mixed-case name in -t and related
>> switches, you need to double-quote the name; else it will be
>> folded to lower case (see Patterns). But double quotes are
>> special to the shell, so in turn they must be quoted. Thus, to
>> dump a single table with a mixed-case name, you need something
>> like
>>
>> $ pg_dump -t '"MixedCaseName"' mydb > mytab.sql

Perhaps some of that should be moved up to the definition of the -t
switch?  It wouldn't seem too out of place to me to put it somewhere
near this sentence:

| When using wildcards, be careful to quote the pattern if needed to
| prevent the shell from expanding the wildcards.

While examples are useful, information which is only provided there
is easily missed when someone goes to read up on a particular
switch.

-Kevin