Re: Horizontal Write Scaling

From: Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Horizontal Write Scaling
Date: 2010-11-23 22:45:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 24/11/10 09:43, Eliot Gable wrote:
> However, it occurs to me that if you had a shared disk system via
> either iSCSI, Fiber Channel, NFS, or whatever (which also had higher
> I/O capabilities than a single server could utilize)

Yeah, current Postgres multi-master projects seem to be focusing on
shared-nothing architecture as opposed to a shared-disk one. I guess the
advantage of the former is that specialized (i.e expensive) hardware is
not required to attempt to overcome the point of failure with
shared-disk systems - the disk they share.

Cheers

Mark