Re: Performance under contention

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <ivoras(at)freebsd(dot)org>,<pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance under contention
Date: 2010-11-22 17:47:15
Lists: pgsql-performance
Ivan Voras <ivoras(at)freebsd(dot)org> wrote:

> It looks like a hack

Not to everyone.  In the referenced section, Hellerstein,
Stonebraker and Hamilton say:

"any good multi-user system has an admission control policy"

In the case of PostgreSQL I understand the counter-argument,
although I'm inclined to think that it's prudent for a product to
limit resource usage to a level at which it can still function well,
even if there's an external solution which can also work, should
people use it correctly.  It seems likely that a mature admission
control policy could do a better job of managing some resources than
an external product could.

-Kevin

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: Humair MohammedDate: 2010-11-23 00:12:30